LendKey

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

How to synchronize calendar from Lotus Notes to Google Calendar

I have missed several meetings scheduled in Lotus Notes in the past couple of days. Because I was fully relying on my iPhone to remind me of any upcoming meeting, and Notes Calendar's notification doesn't help that much at all.
So with our friend Google.com, I found the following solution, hopfully can make all we poor Notes users' life a bit sweeter:


1. Sync calendar from Notes to Google
Download this nice open source app from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lntogoogle/
No install is required (do need .NET framework, which most of PC already have). Once it is started, simply enter your Google account and Notes login info, then pick a calendar you want to sync the data over (recommend to create a new calendar in Google). Then it can either automatically do the sync or let you control manually. Nice!


2. Sync to iPhone
Somehow iPhone only pick one calendar from my Google account by default. Since I created a new calendar to hold the Notes calendar, I need to let iPhone pick more than Calendar. And here's the solution:
Goto https://www.google.com/calendar/iphoneselect
Pick the calendars you want to sync to iPhone and save.
Magically, all the events from my Notes Calendar are in my iPhone now.


3. Reminder
Somehow most of my Notes events don't have a reminder. To let my iPhone remind me, Google allows me to setup a default notification for all event, unless reminder has been explicitly set. So I set my default notification to popup in 10 min, which will let my iPhone popup a little message 10 min before my meetings.


Now my life is back to perfection. Hope the tip helps you too.


Li

2 comments:

Gili Nachum said...

hi Li!
Im facing a similar android-notes dillema.
I dont want to sync notes to google because i dont want to give my google credentials to some unknown utility. Yeah, paranoid.
Instead im looking for some android-notes <10$ utility to sync. My android will sync to google from there on.
Happy that you found something that works for you. Meanwhile, Im still suffering from a calendar disorientation :-X

bistro aprons said...

do you have some online video on how this works?